These Household Products May Actually be Making You Sick

These Household Products May Actually be Making You Sick

1033
0
SHARE
Chemicals sick

Experts report the average household is estimated to contain approximately 62 chemicals.

You might not care at first, except research shows many of these chemicals are causing everything from obesity to asthma.

In fact, some of these toxic beasts could be the cause of your chronic headaches and can even disrupt your reproductive system!

But where are these hidden killers?

Lurking under your kitchen sink or even in your pantry contains seemingly innocent household products which are loaded with chemicals.

Business Insider spoke with Dr. Trasande who is an expert in children’s environmental health, about the dangerous chemicals lurking within our homes.

Trasande stated:

“There is increasing and accelerating evidence that synthetic chemicals commonly found in the home contribute to disease and disability.”

In simple terms – our household products can be toxic.

And to help you figure out what to keep and what to toss, we’ve given you some of the most known carriers of these harmful chemicals.

  1. Scented Candles

Each time you light a scented candle, you are essentially emitting toxins in the air, and then breathing them in.

Take a look at the back of your candle – chances are you can’t even pronounce the chemicals you are lighting, but you might recognize the word “fragrance”.

This term is a propriety word that companies use to hide their trade secrets, but this lack of transparency means you have no idea what you are inhaling each time you light that candle.

But The Non Toxic Revolution stated:

“EWG found that about 75 percent of products that list fragrance contain the hormone disrupting chemical, phthalates.

Phthalates, used to make fragrances last longer, have been linked to many hazardous health conditions, such as reduced sperm count, liver and breast cancers, reproductive malformation and diabetes”.

CDC studies admitted phthalates have caused reproductive issues in lab rats.

Just say no to the candles –

If you’re waking up with headaches and clogged sinuses in the morning – check the fragrance level in your own home.

As if fragrance and phthalates weren’t enough, there’s more bad news.

Dr. Galia reported:

An EPA study found that potentially hazardous chemicals are commonly used in synthetically scented candles, including acetone, toluene, benzene and others.  These chemicals can cause headache, asthma, dizziness, nausea, fatigue and drowsiness and can cause damage to the brain, lung and central nervous system”.

But don’t worry, you can still make your home smell good!

Instead of lighting toxic candles and inhaling their deadly fumes, stick to an essential oil diffuser.

After all, why settle for counterfeit “peppermint” when you can breathe in the real deal?

  1. Cleaning Products

So you like to keep a clean house.

Me too.

But have you ever stopped to look at what products you are using to clean your home?

The toxic chemicals that make up cleaning products can not only burn your skin and eyes if touched, but they can lead to a whole other host of health problems, including cancer.

Some cleaning products even have over 60 ingredients!

And these ingredients can be deadly.

The American Lung Association reported:

“Many cleaning supplies or household products can irritate the eyes or throat, or cause headaches and other health problems, including cancer. Some products release dangerous chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs).

Other harmful ingredients include ammonia and bleach. Even natural fragrances such as citrus can react to produce dangerous pollutants indoors.

VOCs and other chemicals released when using cleaning supplies contribute to chronic respiratory problems, allergic reactions and headaches.”

Instead of cleaning with these known killers, consider switching to natural cleaning products.

You can even make your own with vinegar, water, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil.

  1. Plastic Containers:

Hopefully, by now you’ve switched your plastic Tupperware containers to glass and stopped using plastic altogether.

Many plastic containers contain the chemical Bisphenol A otherwise known as BPA.

This chemical can also be located inside aluminum cans and water bottles and can cause a whole host of problems to the body.

Business Insider reported:

“Numerous scientists, including Trasande, have uncovered a link between BPA and obesity. The chemical has also been associated with coronary artery disease, increased blood pressure, and issues with female reproductive development. While the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that BPA is safe for humans, their assertion has been widely challenged by the scientific community.”

If you insist on plastic, make sure it’s BPA free.  And never put plastic in the microwave.

Also, check your coffee machine – much of the plastic components, you guessed it, could contain BPA.

If you’re looking for more information on BPA, check out our recent report on how harmful this chemical is to the body.

Once you make the switch from toxic to natural, you’re making an investment into your health and helping to protect your family.

We commend you for taking steps to eat organic food and eliminate the processed junk.

And props to you for caring about your body by drinking enough water and finding the time to work out and stay healthy.

But if you don’t tackle the toxic wasteland within your own home, you’ve only addressed a portion of the problem.

Start with these simple switches listed above, and you’re on your way to a reduced daily chemical exposure!

Were you surprised to learn about the dangerous products hidden in your household? What are some practical steps you can take today to make the switch?

Tell us your thoughts in the comments below and be sure to share this article with your friends and family to let them know about these household killers!

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY